David Stickel AWS, NWS

 

The concept of 'excellence' challenges me, as it once did the great masters--to create representational works through the medium of watercolor that speaks to the heart.  I especially enjoy creating images that few others would ever consider painting because of their overwhelming complexity. 

 

My parents and teachers observed from a young age my natural ability to draw and paint and always encouraged me to work hard to cultivate this gift from God. Interestingly, some people have difficulty reconciling my 6'9'' size with the incredibly detailed realism of my paintings.  In 1982 I graduated with an art degree from UNC-Asheville while attending on a basketball scholarship.  Known for my representational paintings of reflections--especially of windows.  I love how each, often through mystery, tells its own story-inside-as well as outside the window. 

 

I hold signature member status in the American Watercolor Society, the National Watercolor Society, Transparent Watercolor Society, master status with the Watercolor Society of North Carolina, as well as others.  Also, North Light Books have published a number of my paintings in their popular watercolor ‘Splash’ series, (14 editions).

 

I draw inspiration for my compositions from my beloved North Carolina as well as years lived in Kenya, East Africa, trips to China, Europe and throughout the U.S. (Colorado) where I have lived or traveled.  However, I agree with Andrew Wyeth, who once commented that there was enough subject matter in his own backyard to paint over several lifetimes.




GalleriaVersace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jasmine Huang AWS

Watercolor International 5 - Invitation and participating artists

AWARDS